Saturday, November 27, 2010

Marinated Mushroom Pastry




I am really trying to enjoy mushrooms. I try very hard, yet have not required the taste for them. However, my family loves them and I enjoy cooking with them. For this fast and easy dinner, I cubed four large Portobellos and marinated them. I was not at all sure how they were going to turn out, and I certainly was not going to taste test (I know, that is beyond sad)! BUT! My family loved it and cannot wait until I make it again and/or post the directions! So, here they are kids!









You will need:
~Four large Portobello mushrooms, cubed into 1x1" pieces
~Three TBL Balsamic Vinegar
~1.5 TBL Olive Oil
~Three Cloves Garlic, crushed
~2 tsp coarse, sea salt

~Two puff pastries, thawed
~Asiago Cheese, shredded (opt)


Take each mushroom and wipe clean with a dry paper towel or a dry cloth of any kind. Just make sure you get all the dirt off, but do not rinse! Mushrooms get really slimy and start to absorb everything under heavy moisture. We want them to do that, but with the vinegar, not muddy water! I use the whole mushroom, including the stem. It smells the same, so I assume it tastes at least similar, with maybe a texture difference.
Place in a bowl and pour over the vinegar and olive oil and then add the garlic and salt. Mix thoroughly. Let this sit for an hour or two, in the fridge if you have room and stir a couple of times every now and then to mix it up. This is the time to set out your pastry if you are like me and use frozen ones. If you haven't looked into making your own puff pastry, you should! Then head to your local market and buy some frozen, pre-made p.p.
After letting the mushroom marinate, put half of them on one side of the pastry leaving about 1 inch to 1.5 inches for you to grab onto and roll it up. The pastry is actually very durable and can take you pulling it over the mushrooms and stretching it to the other side. Leave the seam at the bottom, against the cookie sheet. Any little buys trying to escape from the end, squish back in and pinch the ends together. Brush the top with olive oil and make a few slices in the top and then sprinkle with your cheese, asiago is the one my family liked, and if it were me eating I would have used a vegan mozzarella! Bake at 350d until golden brown... I think it was about 30 to 35 minutes... Keep both eyes on it after 20 minutes or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment