Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My Spice Cabinet





I consider a well rounded spice cabinet to be a crucial point when cooking. It is a must for a person to have a good idea of different flavors and combination of flavors and to not be afraid to use all different kinds of herbs and spices in foods. I plan my kitchen, not on what I am going to make that night for dinner, but to have all the supplies necessary to make a good, healthy dish based on my time constraints, number of people, and my
mood. Fresh ingredients are always the trick. I have to do a little more planning when it comes to those but at for the staples of rice, beans, flour, grains, canned and frozen, I am always prepared! And my spice cabinet is always there at my side!

Spices I keep on hand: *I grow

allspice
cumin
*garlic
turmeric
*coriander
*dill
*basil
*oregano
*parsley
cayenne
kosher salt
whole black pepper
*rosemary
*thyme
*mint
*lemon balm
nutmeg
cardamom
*lavender
*chamomile


Pictures:
top: garlic, clove, cardamom, black pepper, anise
middle: lavender blooms
bottom: basil plant

No comments:

Post a Comment